HEALTHY COUGAR CUBS ROAR LOUDER
*NEW CHANGE TO HEADLICE PROCEDURES*
- Children who are symptomatic (scratching persistently) will be referred to the school nurse.
- The nurse will evaluate the case and take appropriate action as recommended by the Maine Department of Education, maintaining confidentiality for the child.
- If the school nurse is not present, the student will remain in class and the school nurse will evaluate the student at the next available visit.
- In difficult or chronic cases, the school nurse will develop a plan with the student, the student’s family and other staff members as appropriate with the goal of limiting loss of class time.
- Mass screenings will not be performed.
- Staff should discourage students from head to head contact as much as possible during the school day.
- Staff should not have head to head contact with students.
- Education will be provided periodically throughout the school year.
- Questions should be directed to your school nurse.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Center for Disease Control
- Harvard School of Public Health
- Maine Department of Education Health Advisory Committee
- National Association of School Nurses